SCI Ontario is launching a Mayoral Elections Campaign on TTC Accessibility and we need your help in convincing the mayoral candidates and the TTC that making every Subway/RT stop wheelchair accessible is the responsible thing to do.
In 1990 the TTC set a goal to make all subway stations accessible. Eventually the TTC committed to full station accessibility by 2020. Subsequently it introduced a new “target” of 2024.
Three years ago, the TTC revealed it would only achieve subway/RT accessibility by 2025, the year mandated by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
This spring the TTC reneged on its commitment to full accessibility. The TTC revealed it intends to contravene the law. Its current plan leaves 17 stations inaccessible in 2025, and provides no commitment that these stations will ever be accessible. After 35 years the job will not be done.
Here is what you can do to help:
- Take 1 minute to participate in a letter writing campaign http://www.sciontario.org/ttc-accessibility-campaign
- Vote for TTC Accessibility in the Toronto Star Big Ideas survey in partnership with the University of Torontos Martin Prosperity Institute http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/big-ideas-vote.html
- Let others know about the Campaign and encourage them to participate
- Attend the TTC Public Forum on September 17th and voice your opinion http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility/Public_Forum_on_Accessible_Transit/2014_Public_Forum_on_Accessible_Transit.jsp
- Register to the Big Transit Mayoral Debate on September 15 at 55 Gould St., Ryerson University http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-big-transit-mayoral-debate-of-2014-tickets-12423118883?aff=es2&rank=1
- Register to the All Mayoral Candidates Debate from the Big Ideas Survey on October 20th http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/ProfessionalDevelopment/Events/UpcomingEvents/20141020Mayoral.aspx
- Meet with your local councilor or candidates and discuss TTC Accessibility. Find out who to speak to in your community here http://app.toronto.ca/vote/candidateListAll.do
- There are over 30 All Mayoral Candidates Debates scheduled across Toronto over the next 2 months. Plan to attend the one closest to you and voice your opinion on TTC Accessibility http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/upcoming-2014-toronto-mayoral-election-debates-1.1937000
If you require any assistance in getting more involved, contact Peter Athanasopoulos
416 422-5644 ext. 260